ALOE for Health and Healing - A
"Welcome Spring Smoothie"
|My Aloe Getting ready to Bloom|
I love taking a leaf of my aloe filleting it to put it in smoothies - look at the super benefits I'm getting each time I do.. it is bitter which stimulates digestion and yet it is soothing at the same time. We all know having an aloe plant in the kitchen is good for burns, but did you know it does all this too? Quite bitter by itself, aloe gel harvested from your own plant or one in the store, is easily assimilated in a Welcome Spring Smoothie - below.
You will Need:
• The leaf of an aloe vera plant is filled with over 75 nutrients, 20 minerals and 18 amino acids, and 200 active enzymes.
• Aloe vera is one of the only known natural vegetarian sources of Vitamin B12.
• It is anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and anti-viral.
• It heals burns and excema when applied directly to the skin, but it also can be ingested to heal internal tissues. Mouth and stomach ulcers, nasal and sinuses, bowels, lungs and genital tracts all benefit from the use of aloe vera.
• Aloe also seems to be excellent at regulating the immune system. It can stimulate the immune response in those with weakened immune systems, and it can also calm the immune response, such as for hay fever where less reaction is beneficial.
• Soothing for the digestive tract.
• Applied topically to skin to heal cuts faster.
• Reduce pain in canker sores and help them heal faster.
How do you fillet an Aloe leaf?
|Harvesting your own Aloe|
I use a grapefruit knife, slice of the leaf,
slice off the prickly sides and slowly slice off the bottom skin to present the aloe gel, which can then be scraped off with a spoon or the same knife. Easy peasy.
A"Welcome Spring Smoothie" for Aloe Health
|Aloe-licious Spring Smoothie|
1 ripe banana (preferably frozen)- potassium
2 pitted dates- excellent fiber and vitamins
8 walnuts- great for your brain
1/2 -1 cup frozen Blueberries- anti-oxidant power
1/2 cup of Aloe Vera Gel or Juice- benefits galore
A handful of Cilantro or Parsley (super detoxifier)
1 large scoop of plain Greek Yogurt or use Coconut water
if going dairy free.
Any other ingredient you know you like - I like to add a scoop
of powdered greens for a super mineral boost.
Blend all ingredients in Blender until smooth. If using nuts, I add them first and blend up and then the banana and blend before adding the rest.
Makes 2 servings
Looking for a 3 day gentle cleanse to boost your energy for spring? Click here for free guide.
Marie has been a champion for vitality and balance in the workplace AND at home for over 12 years - specializing in self-care and reducing stress, she uses a holistic and experiential approach to engage and inspire through individual coaching, group workshops and organizational retreats. Contact her to co-create change here.