Dear Friends - A Delicious Spring Greeting to You All!
SPROUTING FOR SPRING!
Kids love to see the magic of it and you will too! Besides that and most importantly, they nourish your winter body with tons of vitamins, minerals, proteins, and enzymes in an easy bio available quick energy way. Excellent for immune building and strengthening the whole body too! And guess what, they don't cost much to make! Really great on wraps, any salad or as snacks on their own.
HOW TO SPROUT LENTILS
- ½ cup lentils ( I use brown lentils)
- 2 cups water
- Place lentils in a quart ball jar and cover with 2 cups water .
- Cover the top of the jar with cheesecloth and secure with a rubber band or use a fine mesh screen cut to fit inside a ball jar top (sold at food coops).
- Let sit in water overnight(12 hours).
- The next day drain off water.
- Rinse and drain once or twice daily and keep out of sunlight.
- On the third day (some people wait till the 4th) you will have sprouts with about a 1/4-1/2" tail on them. They are ready!
- Place in glass jar or plastic jar or bag.
- They shouldn't be too wet. I use the jar that I used to sprout with.
- Keep in fridge.
- Use on salads, as a snack, in stir fries, ground up in spreads.
- Start a new batch when half way through the jar.
TASTY SPROUTED LENTIL SALAD
A deliciously mildly spicy ethnic-inspired salad that's very healthy as well. A nice crunchy twist on UNsprouted lentil salads." From all-recipes.com
2 cups lentil sprouts
1/2 cup seeded, diced cucumber
1/2 cup seeded, chopped tomato
1/3 cup chopped green onions
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes (optional)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
|1.||In a medium bowl, combine the lentil sprouts, cucumber, tomato, green onions, cilantro and radishes. Toss lightly.|
|2.||In a smaller bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, oregano, garlic powder, curry powder, mustard, salt and pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the salad, and toss lightly to coat. Chill for 20 to 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend before serving.|
More Resources on Sprouting: